Monday, December 5, 2011

Remember the Sabbath. Keep it Holy.

Okay, so I am probably the worst person about stopping and resting and respecting the Sabbath that God first took and then gave to us.  But every time that I do it, I am so glad that I did.
O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum!  How lovely are thy branches!
(even if they are artificial)

Observing the Sabbath could be one of the most important things I do all week.  If I didn't, then I am guilty of not practicing what I preach in any other way.  If I do not observe the Sabbath, then I am guilty of what they call "works-righteousness."  It's the concept that what I do is more important than just "being" in God.  So maybe I can't always observe a Sabbath day in full, for whatever reason, but I absolutely must do it at least in part.  It's necessary for several reasons.  For the obvious reason of self-care, I cannot take care of anyone else if I am not taking care of myself.  But for other reasons, like this "works-righteousness" thing, if I cannot entrust the world back to the Lord for one day while I set that time aside for Sabbath, then basically I start to think that everything is up to me and me alone.  Gosh, talk about a Messiah-complex!

After several months as an ordained pastor of a church, I am learning that Sundays are not really Sabbath-y enough for me.  Although I view Sunday worship as a time when I am also able, to some extent, join in the worship along with the congregation, I am usually worn out by about 12:30 in the afternoon, the earliest time that I might leave the church building.  Sometimes I don't leave the church building till later.  Or I will leave and grab some lunch and then return to the church for an afternoon activity.

I have been learning that if I time my work throughout the week a certain way, then I might grab a little time to myself on Saturday, a little-itty bit on Friday evenings (sometimes), but the Sabbath really begins for me on Sunday evenings after the ministers' prayer group, when I go to the gym and get some exercise.  By then, I usually feel sufficiently tired but completely free of worries, and able to unhinge things that are on my mind by running on the treadmill.

Green chile chicken stew with leftover veggies.  I ate 2 bowls!
I think it is the best I have made yet!
From there, I usually sleep really well and wake up Monday morning ready to lay low, take care of the house, play with the cats, knit, watch TV, cook, or whatever the heck I feel like doing.  At the most, I might check e-mails, but not usually.

Today I was fully-forced into the Sabbath.  I awoke this morning at 7:00AM to about 2 inches of snow on the ground, and spent pretty much all day inside.  I turned on the Christmas tree lights, fixed up a yummy pot of green chile chicken stew with leftover veggies, worked on some knitting projects, and monitored the snow all day long.  I tried to drive the truck around the block but the roads were slick, even in the middle of the afternoon.  I did tromp across the backyard to take the trash out, and put sunflower seeds in the bird feeder, just to get a feel for how much snow there is out there.

The temps tonight are supposed to get down to zero degrees Fahrenheit.  That's way cold.

Behind the Manse.
So, the Sabbath.  I feel justified today in sounding self-centered. But the reason for the Sabbath is not just for me to focus on my needs. God told us to focus on Her and to take this time to open our eyes and look around at this amazing Creation of which we are a part. John the Baptist said in John 1, "I am not the Messiah."  He's right. None of us are that powerful. All of us have to take a little time for ourselves to just exist, as God's people.  Rest in the Lord, for after creating us She created the Sabbath, and observed it too. Yet one more way for us to live into God's image. Take it, somehow. It's absolutely necessary, for we must never forget that we depend on our Creator for all things.

Thank you, Dear Jesus, for your sacrifice for us and for giving us time each week to rest.  Help us all to know you better every day, whether at work, at play or at rest.  May we always abide in you.  Amen.

No comments: